What’s your motivation? (30 mins)Goal: think about what’s important to you as an educator in the digital age? Why incorporate digital media if it’s not required or tested?
- Take this quiz from Powerful Voices for Kids: What are your motivations for incorporating MLE into your practice?
- Identify by show of hands who scored where
- Small group discussion: Go talk to someone who scored like you and make sense of your score. In your own words, why are you a [blank]? What questions from the quiz resonated with you?
- Whole group: Share out
What is the digital landscape of the environment you’re working in? (45)Goals: think through the digital landscape of your school; identify gaps in your knowledge
- Sign in to Mindmeister.com (choose "With Google" option and use your TC account; share map with firstname.lastname@example.org)(get help under Related Tools)
- Start a map of the digital landscape at your school
- Add 'nodes' to outline your learning community: Self, Learners, Community, and Context.
Address the following in your Mind Map
- Assess the media literacy of your community -- ability to access, analyze & evaluate, create and participate in the digital realm (see Related Standards)
- Are there existing models of digital pedagogy in your school?
- What are the learners like? Skills? Access home/school? Typists? Mobile device carriers? Music/movie fanatics? Gamers?
- What tools are available to you and your learners? Stable Internet connectivity?
- Is their Technical Support available? Do the resources you have need maintenance?
Smackdown of early inquiry projects (30)
- Individual work: Visit this Padlet.com page and write down your nacent ideas for inquiry projects
- Individual work: Look over the wall for ideas that are similar
- Group activity: arrange like ideas on the Padlet wall
- Small groups: find someone you’re interested in talking to about developing an idea further
- 5 min connection chat with potential partnerships
Readings for next time…
- Seven Great Debates in Media Literacy Education, The (PDF) (Renee Hobbs)
- Emerging from K-12 Future Shock (PDF) (1500 words from Rhys)
- Essential Competencies of Digital and Media Literacy (short list)
Assignment for next time...
- Decide on a partner to work with on an inquiry project
- Make a copy of a media literacy planner, share it with your partner, and start working on the Essential Questions